We are hiring!
Job Posting: Macon County NC Farmers Market Manager
Part-Time Position (up to 20 hours/week)
Farmers Market Manager (Part-Time Contractor)
This posting will remain active until the position is filled, but the ideal start date for this position is mid-October, 2023.
Overview: MountainWise, a subsidiary of Macon County Public Health, is seeking a dedicated and passionate Farmers Market Manager to oversee the development and ongoing operations of the newly emerging Macon County Farmers Market. This position offers an exciting opportunity to shape and grow the market from its inception to become a vibrant and thriving hub for local producers and the community. The Farmers Market Manager will work up to 20 hours per week as a contractor and will be compensated at a rate of $25 per hour.
● Collaborate with stakeholders, local producers, and community members to create a vision for the Macon County Farmers Market.
● Conduct research and market analysis to identify potential vendors and products that align with the market’s mission and community needs.
● Develop marketing strategies to promote the market and attract both vendors and customers.
● Secure necessary permits and licenses for the market’s operation.
● Develop a financial plan for funding ongoing operations and market expenses, and once Market is established work with MountainWise and Food Council stakeholders to secure necessary funding in support of all operational costs.
● Work with MountainWise and Food Council stakeholders to develop clear market policies and procedures manual.
● Recruit and onboard local farmers, artisans, and vendors to participate in the market.
● Maintain positive and constructive relationships with vendors, addressing their concerns and ensuring compliance with market rules and regulations.
● Facilitate vendor orientation sessions and provide ongoing support and resources to help vendors succeed.
● Organize and manage all aspects of the market’s day-to-day operations.
● Coordinate with vendors to ensure the smooth setup and breakdown of market stalls.
● Oversee the collection of fees and payments from vendors and maintain accurate records.
● Implement and enforce market policies, rules, and safety protocols.
● Coordinate with local authorities and emergency services to ensure the market’s safety and compliance.
● Act as the primary point of contact for market visitors and the local community.
● Foster a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere to encourage community participation.
● Organize special events, workshops, and entertainment to enhance the market’s appeal and engagement.
● Develop and manage the market’s budget, ensuring financial sustainability and responsible use of funds.
● Prepare regular financial reports for MountainWise and its relevant partners and Food Council stakeholders.
● Bachelor’s degree in Business, Agriculture, Marketing, Public Health, or a related field preferred or equivalent experience.
● Proven experience in market management, project management, event planning, or community development is desirable.
● Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with an ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
● Knowledge of local agricultural practices, sustainable farming, and artisanal products.
● Familiarity with health and safety regulations related to farmers markets is a plus.
● Experience with grant-writing and reporting is a plus.
● Ability to work independently, take initiative, and problem-solve effectively.
● Availability to work flexible hours, including weekends and occasional evenings.
● Macon County residents will be prioritized for this position.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are asked to please follow the NCAPHA application instructions located at http://www.ncapha.org/careerportal/#/jobs/1114 , including submitting their resume, cover letter, and three references by Sunday September 10th, 2023.The anticipated start date for this position is mid-October, 2023.
MountainWise, a subsidiary of Macon County Public Health, is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We appreciate all applications,
but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Join us in creating a thriving farmers market that celebrates local agriculture and strengthens our community!